Thursday 12 March 2015

CAS Colours and Sketches #115

Jane has put together a great sketch for us to work with this week at CAS Colours and Sketches. I have also opted to tie my design in with Less Is More where they have a colour challenge this week. Their DT has asked that we try to keep to just the two spring colours of green and yellow, with the optional use of neutral shades if necessary.


I felt very comfortable using Jane's sketch just as it is. I have just used a square image instead of a circular one and placed the sentiment in a more appropriate place. I have managed to use only green and yellow for my colours (with a little bit of white). My well-loved and used daffodil stamp from DoCrafts has been stamped in green, masking off the bottom border which I didn't want to use, and coloured with Promarkers. Even the sentiment has been printed from my computer in dark green directly onto the Core'dinations cardstock used for the banners.



My biggest achievement came from my first ever attempt at the Bokeh technique. I had seen it around quite a bit and have been dying to have a go. I moistened a piece of cardstock quite liberally with water and was then a bit stuck as I don't have any water-based liquid inks or re-inkers! So I sprayed on Cosmic Shimmer mists in Mango Blaze and Meadow Lush. I also tried some ink directly from inkpads using a brush. The darker spots are my experiment at using a green Adirondack alcohol ink, but clearly this doesn't really spread like the other inks and has ended up looking almost brown! I then left it to dry very thoroughly. I made myself a stencil using a piece of acetate and my Spellbinder circle dies and sponged white ink from an inkpad over the top in varying sizes and degrees. I cut a slice to use on this card but still have plenty left for another project and have to say that I'm quite pleased with my first attempt! It's definitely something that I'll have another go at.

I wonder if you'll challenge yourself to try a new technique on your card this week? Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Stef x

5 comments:

  1. Great bokeh Stef! And we think alike - green and yellow = daffodils at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fab, love your bokeh strip

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic use of the sketch Stef and love your bokeh! Great technique isn't it and really easy once you know how but so effective. Love your take on the LIM challenge and thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
    Sarah xx
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty design!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bokeh strip turned out very nicely for you! The daffodil image is perfectly springtimey, and I really like how it's cut partly out of the box. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete