Monday 26 February 2018

Mixed Media Valentine

I was lucky enough to receive a subscription to Craft Stamper for Christmas and a project in the March edition really caught my eye when looking for some Valentine inspiration. I haven't copied Tracy's project but have been inspired by the design and by her sketch to make my card.


I made a masterboard by brayering 'Blue Oyster' acrylic paint lightly in patches onto a piece of 300gsm card and then with a dry brush/baby wipe applied patches of 'Mermaid', 'Jade', 'Lime Marmalade' paints and white gesso until I was happy with my background. I then dry brushed it with the Interference paint which gave it a gorgeous opalescent sheen in places. I stamped the background script with Distress ink.


I don't have any mdf shapes so I made my own heart embellishment by die-cutting a heart five times from strong grey card and sandwiched them together. I applied texture paste on top and left it to dry before adding patches of 'Mermaid' and 'Lime Marmalade' paint and then overpainting with 'Park Lane'.

I dry brushed two doilies, one for the outside and one for the inside with 'Mermaid', 'Lime Marmalade' and 'Park Lane' paint. The sentiment was printed using my Dymo Letratag gadget with paint smeared over the top.

I cut a piece of the masterboard to fit my card blank using a dark blue mat. The doily and the sentiment were stuck to the card colouring around the edges with a blue pencil to embed them into the card. Scraps of ribbon, lace and cotton thread were stuck to the doily before placing the heart on top. I finished by making some marks with white gesso and splattering blue paint and white gesso to tie everything together. The piece of the doily that was left over from the front of the card was put on the back for interest and the remaining doily was stuck inside with the other part of the sentiment.


Supplies Used:
Acrylic Paints: Blue Oyster, Jade & Mermaid (PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk); Lime Marmalade & Park Lane (IndigoBlu), Interference Green (DecoArt Fluid)
Stamps: Background Script (Lavinia Stamps)
Inks: Stormy Sky (TH Distress)
Dies: Classic Hearts (Spellbinders)
Snippets: 300gsm card, Thick grey card, White doilies, White gesso, Pearlescent embossing paste, Blue pencil (Derwent Cumberland), Ribbon, Lace, Cotton thread
Tracy's original
I would like to enter this project into the following challenges:

I seemed to have everything everywhere while making this project but I really enjoyed doing it! Thanks for visiting.

Stef x

12 comments:

  1. So glad you had everything everywhere because what you finished with is beyond beautiful. So many amazing elements and what a spectacular piece it is. Truly love it soooooooooo much. Thanks for sharing with us at HLS for our AG with Dies. Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Ina. It's great to be back sharing my creative projects again! Stef x

      Delete
  2. An awesome effect. Love your cool bundle of embellishments. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Autumn. I loved working out how I was going to create the focal point. Stef x

      Delete
  3. I have never made a masterboard, I will need to try this some day. Great colors and love your heart
    thanks for joining us at HLS
    Barb Housner (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comment Barb. Masterboards are great fun to make and you always have a piece left over to use as a base for a future project. Stef x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful project! Thanks so much for joining in at Country View Challenges for our February challenge. Good luck and hope to see you again x Teresa DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments Teresa. I've only just discovered your challenge and am already thinking about what I can do for March! Stef x

      Delete
  6. Great inspiration and what a fabulous and very creative project. Love how you did the heart and the doily on this stunning piece of art x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comments Mac. There were so many elements in this project but I had lots of fun making it! x

      Delete
  7. Great mixed media project!
    Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
    Susan
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Susan. I'm glad to be back sharing my projects again and hope to take part in many more challenges in the future! x

      Delete